Saturday, June 27, 2015

Family Reunion Part 1

My parents and brother’s family were able to come to my sister’s house for a four day family reunion this year.  We were so excited as this was the first time that we all had been together as a complete family with all of our children.  It was really fun to see how the kids all played together so well and of course, great to visit with everyone.  Debbie was an amazing host and planned a well organized time for everyone.  



We started off with a Norwegian treat, scrolls.  Scrolls are made from a sweet batter, that is cooked on a special iron and then rolled into a trumpet shape.  It is crunchy like a cracker and sooo good!


it is one of the Norwegian traditions that I remember from when I was a girl.  When my mother’s family got together, they would make scrolls.  I don’t remember helping, as I was young, but I do remember eating them.  Throughout my childhood, my mother would sometimes make them for our family as well, but I never learned myself how to make them.  So this was an opportunity to learn how to make them from my mother, so I can now carry on the tradition with my family.  


Making scrolls is not as big of a job as perogy making, however it does take time.  So Michelle, Malaya, Rosie, Hannah, Cece, Debbie, Grandma and I all helped out and took turns learning how to make scrolls.  Making the batter is the easy part, but learning how hot to have the iron, how much batter to put on the iron, how to close the iron, when to flip the iron, and then finally how to roll the hot scroll into the right shape all take a bit of practice.  We all enjoyed it and in the end we learned how to make a beautiful Norwegian scroll!   Thanks Mom, it is a memory I will treasure.  Oh, and I should mention that everyone enjoyed munching on them after dinner that night. Good, Yummy, Norwegian Fun!!!



That afternoon we decided to go and explore the local Anderson Museum and hunt through some antique shops.  The museum was really well done and the kids enjoyed climbing into the hot air balloon basket and pretending to take off.  It was really interesting to learn some of Anderson’s history.








The antique shops were full of unique items and we all had fun looking for a special treasure.  The kids ran around exploring and getting excited over the different things they found.  



Debbie had arranged for us to take some family pictures in a beautiful park nearby.  So we all got dressed up and posed for all the pictures.   The promise of ice cream at the end for all the good little boys and girls…oh and mommies and daddies too, made it a little easier.



No comments:

Post a Comment